Be sure to see the “Go Birding” page for information on meeting locations, what to bring, and other helpful hints.
Cancellation policy: Field trip leaders will make the decision and notify participants. We will also post the decision on this page.
Saturday, December 16, times vary
Aiken Audubon Christmas Bird Count & Potluck
Please join us for this year’s Colorado Springs Christmas Bird Count on Saturday, December 16, 2017! Everyone is welcome to participate. Plan to spend at least the entire morning finding birds, though times will vary. Come prepared for cold temperatures, and possibly snow and ice. Feeder watchers are also encouraged to sign up and participate.
After the count, we will gather for a potluck dinner, species compilation, and sharing of the day’s adventures at Bear Creek Nature Center from 5 to 7 pm on count day.
For more information or to sign up, please contact Tyler Stuart by phone at (719) 661-9308 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Other Local Christmas Bird Counts
- Friday, December 15, Fountain Creek Christmas Bird Count. This count is organized by Fountain Creek Nature Center. Contact them at (719) 520-6745 for more information.
- Saturday, December 16, times vary, Pueblo Reservoir Christmas Bird Count. This count is organized by the Arkansas Valley Audubon Society. Contact compiler Mark Yaeger for more information: email@example.com.
- Wednesday, December 20, Pueblo Christmas Bird Count. This count is organized by the Arkansas Valley Audubon Society. Contact compiler Brandon Percival for more information: firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Saturday, December 23, Spanish Peaks Christmas Bird Count. This count is organized by the Arkansas Valley Audubon Society. Contact compiler Dave Silverman for more information: email@example.com.
- Saturday, December 30, Westcliffe Christmas Bird Count. This count is organized by the Arkansas Valley Audubon Society. Contact compiler Jane Pederson for more information: firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Monday, January 1, Lake Isabel Christmas Bird Count. This count is organized by the Arkansas Valley Audubon Society. Contact compiler Dave Silverman for more information: email@example.com.
Friday, December 29, 8:30 am – 1:30 pm
Raptors of the Plains
We’ll venture out onto the plains of eastern El Paso County to look for winter raptors. This is an excellent trip for those new to identifying raptors, or who just want to hone their ID skills; trip leader Debbie Barnes-Shankster is an excellent teacher. The trip will also allow time for photos. Bring water and lunch for all day trip, and dress warmly—it can get windy.
Meet at Fountain Creek Nature Center to carpool. Limit 10 participants. Contact Debbie with questions and to sign up: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Saturday, January 13, 7:30 am – ?
Aiken Canyon Preserve
Join us on a 3.3 mile loop through Aiken Canyon Preserve to look for foothills and pinyon-juniper species. Juniper Titmice, Bushtits, nuthatches, Spotted Towhees, Woodhouse’s Scrub-Jays, Townsend’s Solitaires and various finch species are among those to be expected. Although the trail is well-maintained, this is a moderate-strenuous hike, so come prepared with snacks and plenty of water.
We will meet at the dirt parking lot just before the gate on the right side of Turkey Canyon Ranch Rd. (west side of Vietnam Veterans Memorial Highway). Contact trip leader David Tonnessen at email@example.com to sign up.
Other trips are being planned; check back often!
Would you like to lead a field trip? No experience necessary, just enthusiasm and a friendly attitude. Contact Diana Beatty, firstname.lastname@example.org, for more information on volunteering to lead a trip for Aiken Audubon.
The Mile High Bug Club has events scheduled and cordially invites Audubon folks to join them. For information, contact Eric Eaton at email@example.com.
Pueblo’s Arkansas Valley Audubon Society welcomes us on their trips. Check their website for the latest information.
Denver Field Ornithologists also sponsors many field trips each month. Check the right-hand bar on their website’s home page for a month-by-month listing.