See the “Current Field Trips” page for… current field trips!
All Audubon field trips are free unless otherwise stated, and are open to the public. Come join us!
Things you might want to bring: binoculars, spotting scope, ID books, hat, rain gear, sunscreen, bug spray, water, snacks and/or lunch, gas money for the driver, any entry fees, and boundless enthusiasm. Remember, good birders don’t wear white! And while we love dogs, they are not allowed on Aiken-sponsored birding trips.
Please contact the trip leader or listed trip contact for additional information, to let them know you are coming, and so they can reach you at the last minute in case of a delay or cancellation. It’s helpful to the leader to know how many participants to expect. Plus, you don’t want them to leave without you!
In cases of extreme weather conditions, trips may need to be cancelled. Cancellation notices will be posted on the current field trip page as soon as the decision is made. If the weather threatens, please check before leaving for your trip.
Finding Aiken birders is easy. Just look for the group with funky hats and binoculars pointed at the crows and starlings. Here are directions to some of our regular rendezvous spots:
- For trips heading south: Broadmoor Towne Center is off of Southgate Road just north of Lake Avenue. We typically meet in the parking lot northeast of Starbucks (in front of what used to be the AAA office).
- For trips heading west: Red Rocks Safeway is at 3275 West Colorado Avenue, at the west end of Old Colorado City. Park near the southeast corner, away from the market.
- For trips heading north: the Monument Park-’n-Ride is northeast of the Monument exit (161) off I-25. Turn north on Woodmoor Drive, just east of the interstate, then turn into the parking lot on your left (past the driveway to the bus stop). You’ll find the Aiken birders at the north end of the large lot.
- The Woodmen Park-‘n-Ride is west of the Woodmen Ave. exit (149) off I-25. Turn south on Corporate Drive (the first light west of the interstate), right on Mark Dabling, then right into the parking lot.
- For trips heading northeast: Falcon Safeway is at 7655 Mclaughlin Road, at the east end of Woodmen Ave. just west of Hwy. 24. We meet on the southwest side, away from the market.
- Fountain Creek Nature Center is at 320 Pepper Grass Lane, Fountain. Use exit 132A (Mesa Ridge Pkwy.) off I-25, then exit south on Highway 85/87. Turn west on Cattail Marsh Road and follow to parking area.