We’d like to invite you to our next meeting! We offer free programs of interest to nature fans of all ages. Everyone is welcome. You can also find current information about upcoming birding trips, and/or plan to attend another birding event. Check our other links for helpful information, recent sightings, more birding opportunities, and ways you can get involved as an Aiken volunteer and/or citizen scientist. Interested? Click to learn more about Aiken Audubon. Finally, don’t miss our November/December newsletter! We hope to see you soon.
Don’t miss the Tally Rally after the Colorado Springs Christmas Bird Count. It will be held that Saturday, December 20, at 5 pm, at Bear Creek Nature Center. Come share stories, brag about your best bird, and enjoy the company of other birders. The meal is potluck, and please bring your own place setting.
- Our 2015 Birds of Colorado calendar will be available at the September meeting. This year’s theme is “Marshes, Rivers, and Lakes.” All the photos are by Aiken birders. This full color, ready-to-hang calendar makes a great gift, and you can give it year after year! All the proceeds go to support bird conservation and education through Aiken Audubon.
- We’re adding new field trips all the time.
- Our free programs continue Wednesday, November 12, with “Luxury and Lifers” with Mel Goff. Note that this is the second Wednesday of November. Hope to see you there!
- Mark your calendar for the Colorado Springs Christmas Bird Count on Saturday, December 20, followed by a potluck dinner at Bear Creek Nature Center. For more information or to sign up, please contact Tyler Stuart at (719) 661-9308 or email@example.com.
- Updates are constantly being added to our Conservation News page. Many require immediate action. More opportunities are found in the Citizen Science section. Don’t miss your opportunity to make a difference.
- Welcome to Kathy Minch, our new Hospitality Chair. Now you know who to thank for procuring all those pre-meeting munchies!
- Aiken Audubon is seeking an Education Chair. This would be an opportunity to work with fellow board members and other volunteers to develop programs to be used in presentations at schools, scout groups, various club meetings, etc. Contact Aiken President, Christine Bucher at (719) 596-2916 for more information on this position or to volunteer.
- Do you blog about birds? Tell us about your blog, then check out our ever-growing list of Aiken Audubon bird bloggers!
- National Audubon has released their new report on birds and climate change. You can see their conclusions on their website.
- 10 Things You Can Do For Birds: Plant a garden. Be a citizen scientist. Join “Lights Out.” Your steps can make a difference. Learn more…
- Did you know that National Audubon has a Raptor Map? This interactive map includes everything from raptor rehab facilities and Audubon nature centers to great places for hawk and eagle watching. Add your favorite raptor spot, share photos and leave tips for other birders. Learn more on our Local Birding page, or go directly to the map website.
Photos of the Moment
Have a photo you want to share? Send it to us at AikenAudubon@gmail.com for possible inclusion here.
Here are a few photos from Aiken’s recent trip to Chico Basin Ranch.